Thursday 15 September 2011

Cups of Tea 2127 - 2131

Why hello there sports fans. I don't know why you would be, that's just an assumption on my part and I'm sorry for that. Another day of reading, paper based design and job applications here (thank you to Tom Ward for his uber tip of spread sheeting my applications! Go check out his illustration here!). So there's really not a lot to do, but partially review a book and show you some design from the blog hiatus! Exciting times!

Yesterday, I said I was reading a book by Andy Clark (you can read about that below or here), which is a pretty damned good book. However, after doing a little research into the rest of the books published by Five Simple Steps, I discovered that there was a book I should probably read before it... By none other than Mark Boulton called 'A Practical Guide to Design for Web'.


 Now. I'm over 100 pages in. And the book has not yet touched on Web Design. But the book is fucking fascinating! It talks about Boulton's own experiences working for different sized design agencies, then starting his own business, then to how he approaches (and believes other should) research and the design process. For the most part, it reads a lot like Adrian Shaughnessy's 'How to be a Graphic Designer without losing your soul', (which is a fantastic read, the latest version can be found here, but I linked to the one I read because i'm not sure of the changes...) but then it almost becomes a basic design school for web designers who've not undertaken design training. I won't lie, there's some stuff in here I didn't know and I'm now somewhat of a type nerd. I can't wait to get the web design part, but honestly, pick it up if you can. The first half of the book alone is worth the cover price.



Anyways, onto some actual design! This is some work I did for Fierce Panda that I don't think ever got used, but I was quite fond of it. Just a basic logotype for their new monthly night, Bamboozled! I'm particularly fond of the white one, but there you go! What do you guys think?

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment