Saturday 17 July 2010

Cups of Tea 0556 - 0558

Balderdash! I got roped into working today and ended up getting tucked up. No night shift so left with alot to do which I wasn't really happy about... cleared most of it though so hopefully tonight I will have a nights person and won't be totally screwed tomorrow xD Nevermind, if one thing... working encourages me to do design!

Well... it didn't today... I came home, and I was rather worn out... so I did bugger all :/ which is abit of a nightmare :( I got home and now have a reinstated drive... and now that the sleeping patter's back in order, next week there's a shitload of design going to get cranked out :) I also have a serious desire to create a font... And I know i've been toying with a display font while I was housebound ala mumps, but I mean an actual script font... got the name and the idea for it in my head and it should be nice if I can pull it off... but we'll see... I'm really not the best on illustrator with curves so it might be abit of a challenge, but hell, it'll be worth it I'm sure :)

Anyways, onto some design in the world -



I've probably missed the boat with this for alot of you but FIFA have unveiled the 2014 world cup logo... Which I'm not really to keen on. I mean world cup logo's haven't exactly got a history of being great logos, but when Euro 2012 did such a nice job of tying the brand through its stadium concepts etc, (see the video below) It's supposed to be based around "‘wycinanka’, the traditional art of paper cutting practiced in rural areas of Poland and Ukraine, as a tribute to the fauna and flora of the region." (source) and I think it works quite well! I thought the world cup would have taken on some of this flare... I mean yes, Brazil's logo is the world cup made of hands, and yes, I guess everyone is trying to get their hands on it... but come on... at least go for something abit more original!



also, how the hell THIS sucker slipped my attention, I'll never know. But as i've mentioned the man before (and if you're in uni, he's had a few mentions), Adrian Shaughnessy, Author of "How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul" released a new book in March called "Graphic Design : A User's Manual". I want it! This video explains it more than I can (purely because I haven't read it yet ;) but it's in the shopping cart...).



M x

No comments:

Post a Comment