Wednesday 14 July 2010

Cups of Tea 0544 - 0550

Its been quite a slow week if I'm being honest. The effects of that God-damned disease have finally fully left my system and I'm just kinda left like when I had it, I feel like I'm wasting time and have no drive.

However, today has been one of those days where I've tried to amend this. I set the alarm for 12pm and thought "right then boyo, lets get up and get some work done!" Alarm goes off, snooze button gets pressed. Hello 4pm. Yes, I got up at 4. Completely messing up any plan I had to do anything today. But I wasn't put off by this. I got up. I went downstairs, made myself a cuppa and some toast and began to transcribe from notes / emails and texts the entirety of the conversations I had during the design phase of the Giant Haystacks logo. Then, when the rain parted, I went for my first run in two months...

I'm not going to lie, it was well off my best. Did 3.64km in 23 minutes... While it's not really bad, I averaged at 6:22 per km (which I think is more to do with the fact I left it on during my warm down...) but it's given me the incentive I need to go forth and run seriously... Hopefully I can beat this time tomorrow!



On the running note, I've been reading What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami. The book is quite an eyeopener and very inspiring. He talks about how running is central to his life because it allows him to "switch off" to the stuff around him and get away from writing. He also talks about how he started running around the same time he started writing, and how the who have affected his life in different ways. He also talks about alot of crazy running he's done such as The Lake Saroma 100 km (64 miles...), the original Athens to Marathon run, and how he's now training for triathlons. The man is 55.

It's inspired me to go out and do something with myself, giving me the well needed kick up the arse I've been looking for the past two weeks to get me back in the saddle...

Now, if only I knew where to begin....

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment