Monday 9 February 2009

Cups of Tea 76 - 78

Argh. I write this so tiredly! And for no real reason other than the mental wear and tear of having to get up ridiculously early and attend a theory lecture. C'est la vie.

Nothing really happened today design wise because of this, after me being all fired up to design last night, I'm like a tired man shielding his eyes from sunlight today. Got the new issue of Grafik (bitterly disappointing for £9...) and the new Juxtapoze (Which for £3.50 was a bloody steal). Also picked up Rocksound, Art Rocker and NME for analysis for my magazine brief and all I can really say on them is how ugly magazine design can be when you really look at it.

Take Artrocker. It's a magazine for Indie bands / the general London music scene but the design reflects that of the local paper. The column's are horribly spaced and feel much to static, the backgrounds make the text hard to read and the image layouts seem very forced, just slapped onto a page at random, jaunty angles. Where's the passion of the music? The fire and contemporary spirit of what these people are trying to do? I don't know. I honestly can't read some of it because of horrible design. Yes, I'm becoming that guy.

And I guess that's what seperates it from being something you'll find at your local supermarket / corner shop like the NME or Rock Sound, the layout. The other two are cleanly collumned, spaced appropriatly and generally are alot nicer to read. Aestheticly they do it for me too. Not to the degree of say a surf magazine or Front, but there's definatly a sense of style and modern feel to the magazines that make's you want to look at it.

And for the record, I don't condone anyone to read NME. Skins is on the cover. Great stuff if I'm 16, to anyone else, no. Who the fuck cares? I certainly don't believe it's made "Music Better" as the cover caption states. Though the second season had Crystal Castles on it... That was pretty awsome.

God, I'm turning old and bitter.




No comments:

Post a Comment