Sunday 6 March 2011

Cups of Tea 1231 - 1237

ho-ho-ho! Sorry about the lack of an update last night ladies and gents, but I ended up going to sleep when I got in from work (a combo of dissertation stresses, the night out Friday and the early morning Saturday killed me a little haha)... so When I did get up and created the three music posters that I promised you that would be posted up this weekend, they were finished around 1:20am... so as it was a Saturday night and I guessed everyone would be tucked up in their pj's / out getting leathered... I'd update this morning :)

So here is the first of 3 very similar music posters as part of my mini-ARG / Transmedia marketing campaign... The basis of which is a fictional venue opens up in Swansea called 'The Duchess' and a specter of a 16th century duchess is murdering the bands... Why you ask? Well, you'll just have to wait and see... hopefully it'll be up in the week for those who want to play around with it :)

But as a 16th Century lady, the ghost's choice of illustration is of medieval musical instruments. While this started with horns / pipes, I moved onto the stringed instruments of the era, which just look very sexy... Due to her grizzly death in the story, I did play with the idea of medieval torture devices... until a google search showed me things I didn't want to see lol... So that plan was cut short...

The typography selection is also trying to reflect this transition into modern design but with old principals. The typeface used for the band names, which some of you may recognize is Kraut-Type-a-Fuck, made popular in the movie 'There Will Be Blood'. I LOVE it black letter style and the way it looks on a grained background, like it's been smudged through hasty printing. The smaller typeface with the venue / date / time is of course, Baskerville Old Face. She was trying to go as modern as she could with it, after all, The Duchess may be a confident artisan but she can't seem to let go of her old style... So while Baskerville was created over 100 years after her timely death, she's just really slowly getting into modern typeography...

The first poster contains the ancestor of the Violin, known as a 'Rebec'. It was quite difficult to get a picture of one head on, so this is a mash up of various parts of different ones at different angles. They are, much like the mandolins, pipes and brass of their time, very simply designed. Due to the intricate nature of the other two illustrations, the Rebec looked a little plain in comparison. So I searched for an image of an original bow and found a Norse one from 200 years earlier... It's amazing to see the time that man has made music!

So without further a due, I reveal the first of three posters for this marketing campaign. March 8th, the first unlucky souls to play The Duchess...



I'll post the 9th of March up when I get in from work, then the 10th tomorrow night. Hope you enjoy!

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment