Monday 1 February 2010

Cups of Tea 0051 - 0052

Just a quick post today.

It's been quite a balanced day in terms or procrastination and productivity. I went to Uni, then I came home and played Dead Space. I started running again, then I played Dead Space. Then I felt guilty about it, so I turned the game off, started reading the notes at the back of No Logo while semi-watching The Spirit (Awful movie...), Then I browsed my daily design blogs, then I watched Park Chan Wook's Thirst (Ace Movie, especially in comparison too The Spirit haha...), then I read From Lascaux to Brooklyn by Paul Rand (pretty good point with some valid points) while finally getting upto date with How I Met Your Mother.

No uni work though, in all fairness we've just been given a new brief and I'm almost 100% where to go with it, just need to get some ideas onto paper.

I'm torn on what to read now though. No Logo's taken up all my reading time (it was initially a hard read and with Christmas / my wavering enthusiasm post-christmas, it sat gathering dust for a month). Much like the game's I haven't had chance to play, i've got books piled up on the side of my surround sound amp. They include (there's some fiction there I cba with...):-

Thinking Course - Edward De Bono (Stephen Sagmeister recommends it on his website along with A Year with Swollen Appendices: The Diary of Brian Eno ((which was a bitch to get a hold of and not really worth the effort / cash I had to shell out to acquire it)) ).

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami (recommended by about four people while reading different design related things, but if I remember correctly highly praised by Jamie Jarvis, who did this wonderful animation for Nike, he enjoys running / tri-athalons as a break from / focusing exercise for design).

The Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein (Her follow up to No Logo, which if reviews are anything to go by is just as good if not better... though probably not as relevant to design as her previous work).

There's also a tone of stuff I've looked at on the reading list for theory that I either own (Stop Stealing Sheep, How to become a graphic design without losing your soul...) or like the look of (see most of the first two pages...) that I'd like to read given the chance... But the three above have been sitting there for awhile and feel I should give them a read, it's only fair... even if they're not necessarily about design, but more life inside and around it. It's probably going to be one of the first too... one's a guide to practical thinking / idea development. The other a guide to how an artist can use their hobby to escape the pressure of their working life but also to inform and better their craft. The other is simply about how fucked the world is.

Crikey, that turned out to be longer than expected haha. Anyways, time to finish my PG Tips and get some sleep! Up early tomorrow I think... the wonders of organization haha!

Vital Stats -

Tea :

Cup of Tea 0051 = 1 Saga, Extra Milky 2 Sugars.
Cup of Tea 0052 = 1 PG Tips Decaf, Normal, 2 Sugars.

Viewing :

Thirst - Park Chan Wook.
The Spirit - Frank Miller.
How I met Your Mother, Season 5 - episodes 8 - 13.

Hearing :

Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits.
Alexisonfire - Watch Out!
Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose.

Running :

2.85km - 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment