Saturday 10 January 2009

Cups of Tea 18 - 20

So kick my ass... I didn't update. Nor did anyone care, the world kept turning thank goodness, I was afraid that this world would spiral into anarchy and the worlds best and brightest would be hunted down and burned at the stake. Luckily, I'm not that full of my own self-importance to believe this could happen. Nothing changes. Well somethings do.

Today my perspective changed.

Being the design student I am, I thought with this loan I would improve myself slightly, I baught some books. I got Fingerprint (The art of using handmade elements in graphic design, by the Chen Design Associates), The Art of looking sideways, The Things I've learned in life so Far (by Stefan Sagmeister) The Complete Factory records and Peter Saville Estate 1 - 127.

However, these are not the books that changed my perspective. Reguardless of how they sent my brain into motion with creative flair, their bright colours and provocative insight were inspiring.

The Book that has changed how I approach design is "It's not how good you are, but how good you want to be" By Paul Arden (The man responsible for such advestising slogans as "The car in front is a Toyota" and British Airway's "The World's Favorite Airline").

No truer words can be spoken than in this book. He says anything can be achieved by setting a goal. That no one can get to any destination without first establishing where it is they want to go. That every job needs to be done to the full potential. There is no next job. Being right is almost being wrong.

I set my goals. I will one day run my own studio. I will one day be an art director for a magazine. I will achieve the same level of knowledge of my craft as Peter Saville, whilst maintaining his standpoint on design celebrity. I.e. I won't strive for it, just to be the best.

Now I need more tea. I need a pencil and I want to design. But alas, it is late, I'm working early but I dare not sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment