Saturday 8 October 2011

Cups of Tea 2114 - 2123

ARGH! I am so blinking annoyed with myself over the lack of blog post last night. I splashed out and bought the blogger App for my iPod touch and everything, just so no matter where I ended up last night, I could post a blog... But it wasn't to be! And I ended up at home!

I did a great gig in Cardigan, West Wales last night in a small venue called The Cellar Bar. On the bill was me, Geraint Evens, Chris Chopping and MCing was Ben Jenkins. It was a really nice room (who paid me in Cups of Tea 2117 and 2118...) that was quite cozy. It was also quite cool to gig out of Swansea, as short of the Adam and Steve (A&E) / Eli Jenkins, I've not had the chance. All of the acts went over great, even with a local squash club in for dinner who wanted to chat over them! I've seen all of the acts on the bill before, know some of the material, but I still laughed my ass off, which is a reassuring sign not only in the strength of the material, but how good the comics were that I was lucky enough to gig with. Honestly, if you've not yet seen them in the A&E, check them out, they are all class acts.

It's hard to put into words how I felt about the gig and I don't really want to attempt to deconstruct comedy because (a.) I'm surely not experienced enough and (b.) it would get hella boring, but I'm going to go with the train of thought. I'm not sure if it was because I was in a completely different place or if there was nobody in the crowd I knew, but I guess it didn't feel like just me pissing about on a stage. It felt like that feeling you get when you first do a piece of freelance work. You know it's not going to just be seen by a few close friends and go no further, it's actually out there in the world, beyond your control. This is not to say I'm implying that in any shape or form I'm even a comedian yet (hell I'm a part time open mike-r at best), and I'm sorry if it comes off as pretentious douchery on my part, but I think get it now more than I did before.

Don't get me wrong, I loved performing any time I've been lucky enough to get up and do it, but even though I don't feel I did particularly well last night (misjudged the age of the audience a little, should have had more material and a lot more besides), I could see why people are 'bitten by the comedy bug'. I'll go no further, because I am sounding like a knob, but I just enjoyed myself the way I enjoy myself when I design, it was a great.

And now back to my first love.


I found something AMAZING over at Aisleone! The Graphics Manual for the 1976 Montréal Olympics! Oh my God! Not only was it cool as a resource at checking out old school branding practices, but it's so beautifully laid out. Simple design makes me happy...

I'm also doing another gig tomorrow in Swansea :) So as of work it will be another day of some of the cool stuff I've found but not posted! See you then, or Monday... There's be something nice Monday...

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment