Sunday 11 April 2010

Cups of Tea - 271 -275

So yeah, it's a very strange day when you realize that some ideas that've been stewing around in the back of your head for years are based on both personal experience and the progression of other people's ideas that you've unknowingly synthesized into your Psyche. While I'd like to imagine that most of my own ideas are derived through research and are specific, I find that my own ideas for personal projects, ideas that have festered in the darkest, most repressed areas of my mind are expansion of idea's I've seen or read about that have crept into the box clearly marked imagination.

I had to think about this earlier. Was this a bad thing? Was it true that recycling design is the way to go or should I throw a fuck you to the people who tell me this and strive to be original? I mean my imagination is probably my biggest tool, sometimes (well alot of the time) I feel that my idea outweighs my design skills. It's like I know what I want to do, but even though I render it to the best of my ability, feel it is compromised by my own self-doubt or ability to illustrate.

But I then realized that I'm being a tool! There are always original ideas. Where it is applied, what point in time it happens and how it is conducted. In being apart of it, you make it original and this was quite an weight from my shoulders. The ideas might be related on some basic level, but the view from which it is seen and the tools and hands used to craft it will forever change. To these idea's we bring our own values, skills and aesthetics. This is what originality is, the realization that everything is itself original.

Well, unless you're plagiarizing. If so, naughty boy/girl!

Anyways, deep but sleepy thoughts :) Here's something to bring back the creative spark that you might have just lost in the mist of a serious conversation.

http://www.iamnotanartist.org/index.php This is the best thing I've seen in a long time :)

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment